Sometimes, just a few minutes of Calm in your day can make a huge difference to the stresses of everyday living. These are some of the mini 'feel good' rituals that I try and include into my day:
1. If you can start your morning in a calm way, it seems to set the tone for the rest of your day. Taking a few minutes before getting out of bed to relax and breathe deeply seems to really make a difference. My favourite way is to simply place my hand on my abdomen and notice the rise and fall as I slowly breathe in and out
2. Try and fit in at least one thing into your day that you absolutely love - something that gives you joy. It might be a really good cup of coffee in the morning, a walk at lunchtime - or reading a chapter of a book. While you're doing this, completely immerse yourself totally and be completely in the moment.
3. Include Essential Oils into your day. For me, Essential Oils are the ultimate in selfcare - they're enjoyable to use (and very quick) and can easily be slotted into your everyday rituals such as bathing, showering and diffusing. One of my favourite ways to use essential oils during the day is to pick an oil (or blend of oils) each morning that will help me feel the way I want to feel (energised or relaxed or possibly confident and positive) and then place a drop onto a tissue, hanky or cotton pad. I keep this with me and throughout the day, take few deep inhalations. Not only do I get the mood-shifting benefits of essential oils, but it's also a way of reminding myself to stop for a moment and relax.
4. Visualisations - I'm a huge fan of visualisations and have been doing them daily for over 30 years. They're bit like day dreaming with purpose! Start by taking a few minutes to yourself, close your eyes and start to relax (you can use the breathing technique in step no 1 to help) or just start to count down from 10 to 0 and by the time you get to 0, you should have switched off from what's happening outside. Once you feel relaxed, just imagine something that brings you joy or something you'd like to achieve that makes you feel good. For me, it's often seeing myself walking along the beach or doing something in my work that I enjoy doing. Try to really feel as well as see what's around you - the colours, aromas, sounds. After doing this for a few minutes, just bring yourself back.
5. Give yourself some wind-down time at night. This is so important - especially when our days are filled with non stop things to do. This is where you can turn your nightly skincare routine into a beautiful selfcare ritual to help you relax and unwind. Aroma-therapeutic products work beautifully for this - they have the added essential oil benefits that can really help;you to unwind. Inhale the beautiful aromas and lovingly apply them onto your skin and spend some time massaging, inhaling and misting your skin. Again, the focus should be on just really being in the moment, and allowing yourself the luxury of this beautiful ritual
Photo by Dakota Monk